Parking In New Orleans
Before you head into New Orleans, please take note of an important piece of advice: ALWAYS READ THE SIGNS BEFORE YOU PARK!
You think the city just makes money off of your tourist dollars? ;) (It's parking fines!) READ the signs before you park. Metered Parking is enforced. You only have to pay the meters from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday (When the Meter Maids are working).
You cannot park at bagged meters, during X hours, or on X days...it's different on each block and each day...so read the posted signs very carefully -- or park somewhere else! Call Parking Enforcement (504) 658-8100 to see if you have a question about parking in New Orleans.
Towable parking violations include parking:
- in driveways, fire lanes
- on sidewalks or neutral grounds
- near fire hydrants (within 15 feet)
- on corners and crosswalks (within 20 feet)
- in loading and service zones (buses and cab zones too)
- on a parade route within 2 hours of a parade
- during rush hours (7-9 a.m., 4-6 p.m.) on major streets
- on street cleaning days (usually Tuesdays and Thursdays, 6 a.m. - Noon)
- at bagged meters
- 3 or more unpaid parking violations
To make sure your car was towed and not stolen, you can contact the City of New Orleans Claiborne Auto Pound at 504-658-8284 or 658-8285. Hope you don't have to use this number! The auto pound is located at 400 N. Claiborne Avenue under the Expressway.
Drivers needing a handicapped pass can obtain a card - call (504) 658-8200.
Many parking lots have reduced rates ("Early Bird Specials") if you arrive before 9:00 a.m.
Many downtown businesses and department stores offer free or discounted parking with minimum purchases.