Shrimp & Andouille Sausage Gumbo
Submitted by Joel Ehrlich
Yields 8 Servings
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 4 Stalks Celery, chopped coarsely
- 2 Medium Onions, chopped coarsely
- 2 Green Bell Peppers, seeded, cored & chopped
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Dried Oregano, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne
- 40 oz Clam Juice
- 28 oz Canned Plum Tomatoes, drained & chopped
- 1 lb Smoked Andouille Sausage, halved lengthwise & cut into 1/4" slices
- 1/2 lb Okra, trimmed & cut crosswise into 1/4" slices
- 2 lb Uncooked Medium Shrimp, peeled & de-veined
- Cooked Long Grain Rice
- 2 Tomatoes, seeded & diced
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over high heat until it is almost smoking.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring, until dark reddish-brown (about 8 minutes).
- Add the celery, onions and bell peppers at once.
- Cook 5 minutes, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan.
- Mix in the bay leaves, salt, oregano and cayenne.
- Add the clam juice, canned plum tomatoes and sausage.
- Boil 15 minutes.
- Add the okra.
- Reduce heat.
- Simmer until the okra is tender (about 15 minutes).
- Add the shrimp.
- Simmer until just cooked through (about 3 minutes).
- Mound rice in each soup bowl.
- Ladle the gumbo over.
- Serve sprinkled with diced tomato.
Enjoy the taste of New Orleans!
Try our Recipe Menu for more fantastic New Orleans recipes.