A Winter Fast Day Soup (Potage Maigre d'Hiver)
Submitted by Richard Tuttle
The Creoles excel in the preparation of soups without meat, or "fast day" soups, which are in great vogue during the Lenten season. This "Winter Fast Day Soup" comes from a 1945 edition of the Picayune Creole Cookbook published by the Picayune Times. Note the quaint language.
- 1 Quart of Dried Peas.
- 3 Quarts of Water, 1 Lettuce, Sliced.
- 1 Head of Celery.
- 1 Carrot. 2 Turnips. 2 Large Onions.
- Handful of Spinach.
- Sprig Each of Mint, Thyme and Parsley.
- 1 Bay Leaf.
- A Tablespoonful of Butter and a Teaspoon of Sugar.
- Salt and Pepper to Taste.
- Stew all the vegetables, except the lettuce, together, after having chopped fine, until they are perfectly soft.
- Then return to the fire with the chopped lettuce, butter and sugar.
- Boil quickly about twenty minutes, and serve with Croutons.
Enjoy the taste of New Orleans!
Try our Recipe Menu for more fantastic New Orleans recipes.