- 1/2 cup margarine
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 4 slices bread
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 t chopped parsley
- 1 pint oysters, drained
- Pinch basil
- Pinch sage
- Pinch thyme
- Pinch marjoram
- Bread crumbs (optional)
- Dots of margarine
- Melt margarine in a 10-inch skillet.
- Saute onions and celery until transparent.
- Soak the bread in water.
- Drain and squeeze water out of bread.
- Tear into small pieces.
- Add to onion mixture.
- Add egg, parsley and oysters.
- Season with salt, pepper and spices to taste.
- Simmer until oysters begin to curl.
- If mixture is soggy, add bread crumbs; it should be very moist, but there should be no excess liquid.
- Turn into a 2-quart casserole.
- Dot with margarine.
- Bake 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.
Enjoy the taste of New Orleans!
Try our Recipe Menu for more fantastic New Orleans recipes.