- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup of celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped greens onions
- 12 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1 tablespon Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 pound of ground pork
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 cup very fine dry bread crumbs
- Combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Melt the butter in 1 quart saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onions, celery, bell pepper, green onions, garlic, Tabasco, Worcestershire and seasoning mix.
- Saute until mixture starts sticking excessively, about 6 mins, stirring occasionally and scraping the pan bottom well.
- Stir in the milk and 1/2 cup ketchup.
- Continue cooking for about 2 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and allow mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Place the ground beef and pork in an ungreased 13" x 9" baking pan.
- Add the eggs, cooked vegetable mixture (removing the bay leaves), and bread crumbs.
- Mix by hand until thoroughly combined in the center of the pan... shape the mixture into a loaf about 1 1/2" high x 6" wide and 12" long.
- Bake uncovered at 350 for 25 minutes, then raise heat to 400 and continue cooking until done, about 35 minutes longer.
- Serve immediately.
Enjoy the taste of New Orleans!
Try our Recipe Menu for more fantastic New Orleans recipes.